Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Pearl, my cat is 17 years old and has stopped eating and

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, my cat is 17 years old and has stopped eating and urinating since Thursday. She has a nasal sarcoma that was diagnosed back in 2013 but has been in amazingly good health considering her age.She loves to eat and is sweet and happy. I took her to the vet Friday because I thought it was time to let her go. But she perked up and the vet and I thought it would not be fair to put her down. X-rays reveal one of her lungs is cloudy--could be cancer, could be an infection. Her breathing is labored. She has had a shot of depo and also an antibiotic. Doc sent us home with pain meds and more antibiotics. I got some pain meds down her last night at about 3:30. She will drink water. She is weak and will just balance her head on the water bowl. I don't know if I should be forcing the antibiotic down her or if I should let her go. The vet seems fine to wait a couple of days to let see if the antibiotic helps. So I feel ghoulish thinking my baby is suffering and it's time to let her go.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Suffering?
Customer: No, those are the major points, I think.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I am so sorry your elderly baby is not feeling well.It is very possible the antibiotics will help (after 4 doses) and she can still have some quality time. You can always change your mind if she does not do well but I pray she does.She may be dehydrated causing her lack of urination.She may also have low potassium (hypokalemia) causing muscle weakness.http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/hypokalemia-or-low-potassium-levels-in-cats/288Give her some warm whole milk to up her potassium and fluid levels.You can also give her tuna water drained from the can.Get a jar of chicken baby food with no onion or garlic. Warm it and see if she will eat that.She can also have tuna and whatever foods she usually eats.I am hopeful these suggestions will pull her through till the medication takes effect.Please let me know how she is doing.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Best wishes and prayers for her,Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
I am so sorry your elderly baby is not feeling well.It is very possible the antibiotics will help (after 4 doses) and she can still have some quality time. You can always change your mind if she does not do well but I pray she does.She may be dehydrated causing her lack of urination.She may also have low potassium (hypokalemia) causing muscle weakness.http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/hypokalemia-or-low-potassium-levels-in-cats/288Give her some warm whole milk to up her potassium and fluid levels.You can also give her tuna water drained from the can.Get a jar of chicken baby food with no onion or garlic. Warm it and see if she will eat that.She can also have tuna and whatever foods she usually eats.I am hopeful these suggestions will pull her through till the medication takes effect.Please let me know how she is doing.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Best wishes and prayers for her,Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

purrfectkitty