Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Our daughters cars are living with us while their house is

Customer Question

Our daughters cars are living with us while their house is being remodeled. The male cat drags his butt on the carpet as if it itches. I did try to clean the area, and noticed the skin does look irritated. Is there anything I can put on this?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now if this cat is dragging his backside, we do need to tread with care. This could be due to a peri-rectal dermatitis (if he has had fecal scalding of the skin or secondary to allergies) but could also be related to anal gland issues (ie impaction, infection, or inflammation). Therefore, I would suggest salt water bathing (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) the irritated skin, patting it dry and then applying an OTC hydrocortisone cream to reduce inflammation and irritation. Ideally, we'd do this twice daily and can do so before meals to distract him from possibly licking the area and giving the cream time to absorb and reduce irritation. Of course, if the signs persist, then we'd want him to see his vet so that his anal glands can be checked. The vet will be able to express them +/- start antibiotics and cat safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam) to address infection if found. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Guess I could try that...might be easier to just take him in. Thanks for the reply. It is kind of disgusting so we have to do something. He does not clean himself very well. In fact, we hardly ever see him grooming, while the female is constantly cleaning herself. Is that a male thing?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,Its not really a male thing, but some individual cats have better hygiene then others (same as people). Therefore, if you aren't keen to topically treat, then it is best he is seen. His vet can check his glands but also start oral anti-inflammatories to counter any dermatitis as well as reduce gland inflammation as they would treat from the inside out. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. I will give it a try; and if not, we will take him in.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome,That sounds like a fine plan of action.Best wishes,Dr. B.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.