Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My cat ate quite a bit of baby's breath several days ago. He

Customer Question

My cat ate quite a bit of baby's breath several days ago. He began acting a little off the day before yesterday. Yesterday, he seemed a bit slow to react and today, he wouldn't eat anything but a few treats. He also didn't sleep with me last night, which was the first time ever. He sits and stares and his pupils are extremely dilated. I rushed him (he's about 2 1/2 years old) and they wanted to be sure he wasn't going into renal failure. His blood pressure was normal and there were no physical signs except for his lack of reaction to danger signs. He is normally very active and sitting with me. The vet also thought that, since I lost my husband in surgery two weeks and six days ago, he could be mourning. We got home about an hour ago and he is completely out of it; he has crawled into a dark hiding place and won't come out. They hydrated him there also even though he didn't appear dehydrated, at my request to try to flush this out of his system. He is my baby and all I have left after my husband's death. Please tell me what I can do. I'm hysterical.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help. Now if he only had Baby's breath, this won't cause severe long term harm. It has just been found to cause GI upset (vomiting and diarrhea in cats). Therefore, that tends to be the focus of our supportive care. So, while fluids is good for flushing this out of his system, we do usually need to address nausea for them. Therefore, you could request that the vet he say dispense anti-nausea treatment (ie Zofran, Cerenia, Metoclopramide). Or you can at least try Monkey with an antacid. OTC pet safe options include treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Afterwards, we'd want to consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Though if he cannot be tempted, we can also syringe feed a calorie rich diet like Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery or even canned kitten food. As well, there are also liquid diets (ie Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet or Catsure) and nutrient pastes (ie Nutrical) that we can use. All of these are nutrient dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And these could just help get some more calories in even if we can’t get a huge volume of food in. And since he is refusing food and thus giving himself a low blood sugar (which could make him lethargic, hide, and out of it), these would be ideal.Overall, its good that he hasn't any changes on bloods or examination. And if he has only had baby's breath, then GI upset (even without vomiting) is a major concern for his appetite loss and lethargy. So, we'd want to use the above here to see if we can get him eating and thus get him back to normal. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )