Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

He has had 4 teeth removed last Tuesday still cannot get him

Customer Question

He has had 4 teeth removed last Tuesday still cannot get him to eat hardly drinking he is on pain meds really worried not the same cat very lathergic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: I'm beginning to feel he won't be here much longer lost weight not interacting with my other cats he is a shell of his former self
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.Has he not eaten anything since last Tuesday?How old is he?Did he have blood work ran before putting him under anesthesia?Any vomiting?Any excessive salivation?Does it seem painful for him if you try to open his mouth (don't do if you think he may bite you)?What pain medication is he on?Is there any other medication he is on?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is 6 years old on metacam pain relief he lets me look in his mouth vet has said it's healing ok no vomiting not seen him drink much urine smells strong in litter tray
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've tried to get him to eat tuna mackerel food from the vet just licks the gravey of
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the information. What about answers to the other questions?Did he have blood work ran before putting him under anesthesia?Any excessive salivation?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No blood work done
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No salivation
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the information. It is entirely possible that the Metacam is causing him to not eat. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) and can cause some gastrointestinal upset and inappetance. I would also be concerned that there may be some other internal organ issues going on. If he had some pre-existing liver or kidney issues before anesthesia, that could get worse with anesthesia. Or the Metacam may be affecting his kidneys. You have to be very, very careful with giving NSAIDs to cats for an extended amount of time because they are very sensitive to him. Plus, if cats go anorexic for more than 3 days, they are prone to a serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis due to the body's extensive breakdown of fat stores. I would probably stop the Metacam right now in case that is causing a problem, and I would have your vet run some blood work on him tomorrow to make sure nothing more serious is going on. They may even put him on intravenous fluids to help with dehydration if he is hardly drinking. Dehydration can make him continue to feel worse and worse. If properly hydrated, an appetite stimulant may help if blood work is normal. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.