Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She won't eat, is very thirsty but can't seem to see her

Customer Question

she won't eat, is very thirsty but can't seem to see her water in her bowl all of a sudden and lethargic. Found her hiding under table with dried saliva or something around her lips. She wouldn't come when we called her. I know I'm probably just grasping at straws and think she's dying but I've had her for 17-18 yrs and judt am not ready to lose her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: I don't want her to suffer though either.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Those symptoms can definitely be concerning. With her age, there is a good chance she is showing symptoms of kidney failure or diabetes. You cannot rule out other issues, such as liver or thyroid problems, but kidney problems and diabetes most commonly are associated with those symptoms. I would get her to your vet to get some blood work and a urinalysis ran. You will most likely get a confirmed diagnosis there. She most likely doesn't have an issue that can be cured, but there is a good chance your vet can manage the issue and get her feeling better. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she's going to die either way? Is either of those possible issues painful for her if I don't have any $ to take to a vet?
Well, I wouldn't expect any of these issues to be curable, but manageable. Managing the disease can make them feel better and extend life span, but they eventually do succumb to the disease. It will progress regardless. I hope that answers your question. Yes, both issues can be very uncomfortable and make them feel very bad if left untreated. Let me know if you have further questions. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.