Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

I have a 1-1/2 yr old neutered male kitten who has suddenly

Customer Question

I have a 1-1/2 yr old neutered male kitten who has suddenly developed diarrhea/disintary within the past 24 hrs. He used to eat both moist as well as dry food, and consume plenty of water. For the past 24 hrs, I've eliminated the moist and kept him on the dry and water only...but that doesn't seem to be helping either. There is no blood in his eliminations. His actions vary...sometimes he's his wild playful self and then he's very subdued in his behavior/reactions. What do you think is going on? What should I do? Would giving him a small dose (eyedropper) of Pepto or Immodium do any good or harm?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.Diarrhea can be anything from parasites to some kind of dietary intolerance to irritable bowel syndrome in cats. If he is eating well and not vomiting you can try some immodium. An average 10 pound cat would take 1/4 of a 2mg tablet. You can also pick up some probiotics at most pet stores and that should help. If the diarrhea doesn't resolve over the next day or two then you should take him to a veterinarian to look at him and do a fecal exam to check for parasites.I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not, please don't forget to rate my answer.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy