Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have a cat who is 18 years old, the last couple of month's

Customer Question

I have a cat who is 18 years old, the last couple of month's he is not using his litter boxes. I noticed his stomach is hard and he is having a hard time walking and climbing up on the couch; I know he has arthritis. I've been scared to go to the veterinary as he might not come back home!! He still has an appetite and at times moves quickly. Any answers or suggestions would be appreciated.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 10 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Puncer's situation. Is he having stools or urine outside of the litter box or both? Is the area that he's having the accidents near the litter box? Is there a ledge to get over and into the box? Is there just one box?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He is having urine outside the litter box and once in a while stool. This happen in different place threw out our house. We have one litter box which has a smaller ledge but the other ones have high ledges, we have 5 litter boxes in the house in different areas. We have two cats.
That is great that you have that many litter boxes as that helps to make sure he has easy access to them. What may help his situation is to get them all to have zero ledge to get over to get into. Making it as easy as possible to get into would potentially help as he's not as mobile due to the suspect arthritis. I would also get bigger boxes that aren't covered. Trying to make them as pleasant to get into as possible is key here. If he likes the experience in them, then he's more likely to want to use them as much as possible.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK I will try that.
Hopefully making the litter boxes more pleasant and easier accessibility, that will help his situation. With his age, he may have some cognitive issues that are playing a role with this. When my older female was really getting up there (19), she would occasionally just go in an area where she felt it was appropriate for her. Just try again and see what happens!