Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Patches was a rescue kitten. I took him into my care July 1,

Customer Question

Patches was a rescue kitten. I took him into my care July 1, 2009. He was one pound two ounces. From the second I put him in the litter box, I have never, ever had to clean up a bathroom mess.
About six wks ago, he started pooping on the carpet. A visit to the vet revealed his anal glands were packed full, and a stool sample showed lots of hair in his feces. His glands were emptied, and was put on cat food to control hair balls. I thought he would start using the litter box again right away. He didn't. It was four days before pooping again-in the living room.
My question: does he think the carpet is now his place to poop, because he was going there before his glands were emptied? I can tell you his poop is very hard, and he goes about every three days. I can tell you I've been sprinkling Metamucil on his food. I tried pumpkin but he couldn't get away from the smell quick enough. Also the same result with squash and puréed green beans. What else can I use for constipation?
Why isn't he back to using the litter box again??
Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Patches. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I would try Mira Lax for constipation; it is available over the counter: 1/4th teaspoon twice daily on his food. If that does not work I would use the liquid medication Lactulose, but that is a prescription medication and you would have to get it or the prescription from a veterinarian who has seen and examined him.

If you can get his stool softer, and going more often, he may go back to the litter box. When it is painful to defecate hard stool, cats will avoid the litter box for some reason. Keep the litter box very clean, maybe get two litter boxes. Try adding Cat Attract to the litter box, this can be very effective.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

How is Patches doing? I hope you were able to see what I wrote.

Let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any more of your questions.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?