Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

To begin I got a kitten from some girls at a grocery store I

Customer Question

to begin I got a kitten from some girls at a grocery store I was told 8 weeks. Very small undernourished. My assumption was possibly a runt who didn't get the nutrition she needed or that she was taken from mom too soon, again lacking nutrition. She's always had odd breathing issues but it never stopped her. She is I'd say about 8 months old and small. My other cat of the same age is bigger and seems to be full grown. She's always been such a good kitten. She's playful and sweet. The past few days I habe noticed she's been sleeping in really odd places and has lost her spunk. I haven't seen her eat but reported she has. She doesn't seem to be losing weight. Just not herself and lethargic. I checked her skin for dehydration and it snaps right back so I think that's good. Won't let me check temp. Her gums are a grey color and hard to check. No bad breath. She occasionally let's out a funny sound and it seems related to breathing. I did just see her attempt to play but she layer right back down 3 seconds later like she gave up. I'm getting really worried and it's the weekend so not sure what I should do....
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have admittedly never taken her to the vet. I will but haven't. I have 3 cats she and the other female are indoor cats the male is outdoor mostly. He is fixed they aren't yet which is partly why they stay in. The other two cats don't seem to have any issues. My online research made me paranoid more. Heart disease and feline leukemia were always at the top. Again as mentioned before her breathing issues never seemed to interfere or even bother her she qas an active happy normal (ish) kitten and now she's so not. I have this feeling of impending doom and it scares me cause she's my favorite.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess best way to describe her symptoms are alert (like she wants to be active and react properly) but inactive (tried once and just Gave up hardly any movement). She's not hiding but she's staying out of the way. Like sleeping in corners or on top of a shelf above my fridge (not her normal behavior). She doesn't seem to be in any pain from touch and examination. I'm not sure how cats react when touched in a painful area but no reaction. I don't see her showing interest in food my kids say she's eaten but I haven't seen her. Again no obvious weight loss. With 2 other cats who sometimes use the box it'd be hard to check stool. I haven't seen her go but I usually don't. They do their thing.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: You noted her gums were grey, would you say this is normal for her?Can you compare her gums (or you can roll down the lower eyelid to check mucus membrane color if easier) to your other cat? Is she paler?You note some breathing issues, is she breathing >30 breaths per minute at rest?Is she snorting, snuffling,or sound congested?Can you try offering some food (ie boiled chicken, white fish, bit of garlic/onion-free meat baby food), will she eat for you at all?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Eyelids seem fairly comparable. Gums seen to be normal as far as color goes. Her gums are marbled would be a good way of describing them and she has a dark coat. The part of her gums that are pink are a good color. He behavior today is better. It's funny as soon as you seek help they perk up. Like taking a child to the Dr and you get there and they're fine. Ugh. I still think she's off but improving. I'm not panicked anymore and will make an appt for her to see a vet tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello again,I am glad she is feeling better. Since you are planning on taking her in tomorrow, did you want to continue discussing her with me or would prefer I send your question back to customer service for a refund?Dr. B.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The breathing issues that she's always had are all of the above as far as the questions you asked. She wheezes when she sleeps too. And makes just odd noises that seems respiratory related. But again they never seemed to restrict her and she's been a very happy.kitty
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I understand your time is worth money. I wouldn't mind a refund but I also am not going to fight for one. Thank you for your time and being there for me :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
You are very welcome,In that case, as none of my colleagues were able to provide assistance when you posted initially and she is going to be seen tomorrow, I will send your question back to customer service.Take care & all the best,Dr. B.