Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I think my cat has something in her ear - what can i do?

Customer Question

i think my cat has something in her ear - what can i do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Did you look inside her ear? If so, are you seeing any redness, discharge, bad odor, etc.? 2- Is she tilting her head?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She is tilting her head. Her ears both look a little pink inside
1- Is she strictly indoors? 2- Is she off balance? 3- Is she eating and drinking? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She goes outdoors a lot. She is having trouble walking. She won't eat or drink though we have consistently offered
1- Can you stand her up and try to get her head straight then look at her eyes and see if they are going side to side or up and down?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hold on - I'll get her out of her hiding place again and look
Okay
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Her eyes are trending to go off to the side ages favoring
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend the symptoms that you are describing (head tilt, trouble walking, etc.) are consistent with a medical condition called "Vestibular Disease." This is when the system that controls balance in the brain goes off. The patient is basically seeing the surrounding environment as if drunk for this reason they tilt their head and have trouble walking. Possible causes could be: Infections of the central nervous system, thromboembolic (stroke like) brain tumors, ear infections, idiopathic (unknown); the most common is idiopathic vestibular disease. The good news is that most cats with idiopathic vestibular disease will get better within 1-2 weeks. Unfortunately in this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home; do not put any medication in her ears. I would strongly recommend to consider having her checked by ER veterinarian tonight for a hands on examination. If you do not have access to ER veterinarian keep her confine to a room where she can not jump or any stairs. Follow up with family veterinarian. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She is acting like that but when once messed with her ear she tries to scratch it very violently. Would she do that with that disease?
it is possible that she may have an inner ear infection. You see, part of the nerve that controls the vestibular system is within the ear. So, if the nerves are affected the patient will develop vestibular disease symptoms. Upon examination the vet will be able to examine the ear with the otoscope.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I hate to wait until Monday but i love I the country and I'm not sure there is a. er vet anywhere
I agree, if you can find an ER vet to see him before Monday that would be ideal. In the meantime just keep him confine. You can start him on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours, this will help to avoid any vomiting.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter