Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat is keeping his left eye mostly closed but does't

Customer Question

My cat is keeping his left eye mostly closed but does't appear to be in discomfort. The eye is watering and a bit inflamed. It just started today and no other symptoms are present.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If he is holding it shut, he is most likely experiencing discomfort with the eye. My primary concern would be that he has an ulcer on the cornea. Those can range anywhere from a superficial ulcer that should heal with 1-2 days of treatment to a deep corneal ulcer that may permanently affect vision. Very difficult to tell without looking at the eye and staining it. Now, most cat eye problems are due to a herpes viral infection, so it can be related to that. I would expect it to affect both eyes, though. This type of infection can cause an ulcer, as well, though. My best advice is to get the eye checked out by vet ASAP. The biggest concern with waiting to have eye problems taken care of is the potential to cause permanent vision problems if the inside of the eye gets infected. There isn't anything you can use over the counter to treat for a corneal ulcer or eye infection, though. Rinsing the eye with an eye saline solution in case there are any foreign substances in the eye and artificial tears to keep it lubed may help some, but they are not sufficient for treating the underlying problem and preventing further damage. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.