Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My indoor cat has been vomiting--clear, foamy, and often the

Customer Question

My indoor cat has been vomiting--clear, foamy, and often the food she just tried to eat. She was eating her dry cat food but stopped after a couple of days of vomiting. She tries to eat (sometimes not liking the smell of the food and won't eat) but throws up after every time. I have been trying to give her soft cat food (Friskies) and warmed up chicken broth in a chicken soft cat food (Fancy Feast) to encourage her to eat something. She has been using her litter box, but that has decreased with all of the vomiting. Her urine and feces don't appear bloody. She has been starting to lose weight and becoming lethargic. She has always been small and has never eaten or excreted that much. We have been separating her from our two larger male cats for the last few months, with only this recent complication. She has never had kittens and is not fixed. She is about three years old. She was sick when she was little, with wheezing, sneezing, and an eye that matter collected in. That has flared up a few times since she was little. The vet. usually gives her a shot, and we put drops in her eye. She bounces back typically in the next couple of days after the shot. She had all of those symptoms this time but also with the vomiting, which (the vomiting) has never happened before. The vomiting has continued after the vet. trip. The vet. felt around her stomach and her underside but didn't say anything felt abnormal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: I tried to mention it all in the description. I
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She was an outdoor kitten when she was younger. When got sick (around six months?), we brought her inside and tried to nurse her back to health. Since then, we have taken her from the farm, and she has been living with us indoors (separate location from the farm) for the last few years.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, trying to think of anything that could help: We do not have any indoor plants. She doesn't go outside currently.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your girl isn't feeling well and is lethargic, vomiting any food she is eating. It makes sense that her stools are getting much smaller because she isn't eating enough to make stools, and of course if her calorie intake has fallen drastically she will lose weight and feel weak.Vomiting can be related to eating something she should not have, too many treats or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland) internal organ failure, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.Since she isn't able to keep any food down she will quickly start to break down muscle and body fat for energy to live, and as her liver breaks down fats to live she may develop a type of liver disease called hepatic lipidosis. This can be fatal if not treated aggressively.I know that she has seen her veterinarian but because she didn't respond as usual she should be rechecked.Was any bloodwork checked? Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine her, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate her and know best how to treat her. In a cat that was sickly as a youngster, is small in size and has had chronic respiratory signs I would be very suspicious of chronic, immunosuppressive viruses like Feline Leukemia, Feline Immunodeficiency virus, or Feline Infectious Peritonitis. These will suppress the immune system, can cause infiltrative cancer or granulomas to form leading to a possible intestinal obstruction. They can pass from mom to kitten, or be picked up from other cats as a youngster, smolder for years and then lead to serious illness later.In the meantime to support her your veterinarian can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate her.If that absolutely isn't possible today there are some things you can try at home.At home to try and settle her stomach you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous so that she will eat and hopefully not vomit. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.You can use a medicine syringe to try and force broth or water mixed with meat baby food or blenderized canned cat food into her orally a couple hours after giving her one of the acid reducers.If that goes well 12 hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.If she continues vomiting she should see her veterinarian for another examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****