Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I recently rescued a 5 month old kitten who has been

Customer Question

I recently rescued a 5 month old kitten who has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia. Her symptoms have become worse in the past 3 weeks. She can no longer scratch her ears without falling to the side, her sway is more evident and does not attempt to jump. Is this typical with this diagnosis
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kayla Erickson replied 5 months ago.
This seems to be a very progressive timeline from when she was diagnosed to showing these signs. Is she on any medications? Some medications can cause sedation which may make her unsteady. Hip dysplasia is the development of an abnormal joint, so if it is severe enough you can see these clinical signs. Do you think she is painful? Signs of pain may be decreased appetite, decreased activity, vocalizing? There are medical management and surgical options for this diagnosis. What options did your veterinarian discuss with you? Dr. Erickson, DVM
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She was just diagnosed on May 4. She is currently on no medication. Appetite is excellent and she is playful so maybe slight discomfort but I doubt a great deal of pain. An FHO was discussed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
An FHO was the main option that I was going to discuss with you. This is mainly a salvage procedure so it is usually done in extreme cases where the patients are so painful, removing the joint is the better option. There is an option to do a total hip replacement, but can be financially limiting. There is always the option to try pain medications and see if you notice an improvement in her temperament. If she starts jumping and becoming more active, then most likely she is painful.