Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Feline Veterinarian in Practice 15 Years

My cat was just tested urinary tract infection and it was

Customer Question

My cat was just tested for a urinary tract infection and it was negative (culture being grown now). He was peeing on a spare bed next to his litter box. I just noticed it last week. He has been put on medication and last night was fine. Today he peed on the bed again. He is in excellent health otherwise and is a wonderful little boy - no behavior issues. I don't know what to do
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 months ago.
Hi. this is Dr. Gabby.What medication is he on now?Is he still using the litter box as usual too?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
he is getting his last pill of Onsior tonight 6 mg. He has several days of Prazosin 0.5 mg He has been using his littler box off and on, I would say. I first noticed this a week ago Saturday. I had gone out with friends on Friday night and came home after midnight - never did that since I have him. the next day I smelled it on the bed. I then saw what looked like old urine stains, so this could have been going on for a while. Tonight I noticed he did not use his little box at all, but peed on the bed. Saw it when I came home from work and went to check his box.
Ok so at this point, until the urinary tract inflammation is resolved, you probably need to keep him in the bathroom with the litter box.If he has urinary tract inflammation then it feels like he can not hold in the urine.So if he jumps on the bed for example the urine may just come out because he can not hold it in.
You can monitor the litter box. When they have issues there will be little areas of urine.When he starts to do 2-3 big urinations a day then he can run the house and the litter box can go in the usual spot.
How does this plan sound to you?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby