Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

I put 3 drops of tea tree oil and lavender oil on a cotton

Customer Question

I put 3 drops of tea tree oil and lavender oil on a cotton ball and rubber down my chiauah spine for fleas and now she is not standing acts like she is gonna die. no v ets open around here yet what can I do. please help
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.This sounds like a reaction to the Tea Tree oil. Tea tree oil is a common essential oil in use and it can cause significant problems like you are seeing. Most often we see big issues from lower quality or audulteration/contamination factors of the product. Reactions can also occur if they are used in conjunction with other agents (probably the interaction of both oils together in this instance). Essential oils allow agents to penetrate into deeper skin levels by by-passing the skin's normal protective actions. This can be used medically but can also cause issues. If the dog has any flea products on the skin the tea tree oil can carry it into the body. The oil can also act as a chemical irritant and lead to sensitization and contact dermatitis.First, DO NOT PUT WATER on the area as this drives the oil deeper into the skin. I recommend put olive oil on the area (or you can use vitamin E oil). Rub it in and let it sit for 10-30minutes and then use a gentle soap shampoo to remove the product and rinse well. Avoid any other chemicals to the area for several days. You need t phone your vet as well ash have your dog examined today as soon as possible.Most cases the dog will recover if more stuff is not put on the skin. We usually let the normal bodily detoxification systems work after removing the chemical. I would suggest reporting the apparent reaction to the company. Please be very cautious using essential oils in the future as they are not toxicity free products.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey