Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

I have two kittens that came to us at 8 weeks old. We got them

Customer Question

I have two kittens that came to us at 8 weeks old. We got them on a Saturday afternoon and Sunday we had them to the vet because they were missing patches of fur. That day we started then on their ringworm treatment of Griseofulvin. It has now been 25 days of treatment. Their fur is almost all grown back. Short fur still on their legs, but it is growing. They have been living in our first bath since day one and never out and about in our house. Under black light they no longer show any green and their skin looks smooth. We have two kids age 6 & 4. Is it safe to bring the kittens out yet to meet the kids?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Not necessarily. Discontinuation of therapy MUST be based on negative cultures. While it's likely that the kittens aren't contagious at this time, it isn't assured particularly because griseofulvin is considered less effective than terbinafine, fluconazole, or itraconazole and the average duration of therapy is 8-12 weeks. Please note that systemic antifungal therapy should be continued until 3-4 weeks beyond negative fungal culture results.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not looking to stop their medication. Just wanting to know if it is safe at this point to let them out of the bathroom and around the kids?
No, unless negative cultures are obtained, you can't know if the kids are at risk. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?