Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Hey! Just came home from work, my female cat pooped in 3

Customer Question

Hey! Just came home from work, my female cat pooped in 3 different places in the house. She has never done that before. Clearly something is wrong. And my male cat has slightly green and slimy poop. They were both fine yesterday. Please tell me if this is normal or can be fixed. I'm thinking they have some sort of sickness out if the blue.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Was her stool normal? 2- Are they strictly indoors? 3- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1) her stool was normal, it was a little wet, so I'm assuming it was fresh.2) yes they both are inside only and just had a checkup 2-3 weeks agi3) no other symptoms. They seem happy or content
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, you are right when a cat starts defecting out of the litter box it could be a sign of an underlying medical problem. When we see mucus (slime) and green color feces this is a sign of inflammation in the colon. So, it is likely they could have gotten into something or could have a bug. This is what you can try: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give their gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean them back into their regular diet.3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have them checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter