Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

This is a feral cat we have been feeding years. He stays

Customer Question

This is a feral cat we have been feeding for 8 years. He stays near our house, but won't come in no matter what the weather and he won't let us touch him or even get too close. 5 nights ago he was in a cat fight and was limping badly, but now he gets around OK, except his tail is limp and his hind legs seem stiff when he walks and his hind end is elevated when he eats--not his normal posture. Appetite is good and he drinks his water. Should we just monitor him for now, or get him to a vet? Capture would be difficult or impossible. Is there a sedative we could mix with his food to make him easier to capture?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Hard to say. We heard a cat fight at night outside the house, but could not see anything with a flash light. We live in the foothills, so a fall might be possible.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Hello, Pearl, are you still there?
JA: No. I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant.
Customer: He never introduced himself, so we don't know his name. We simply refer to him as "the cat" or "Mr. Cat."
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: He was adult when he arrived 8 years ago, so he must be at least 10 years old. He's been in other cat fights, but never before any damage. We feed him dry and canned food, and he eats mice, rats, rabbits, squirrels, and an occasional bird outside our house. He's always seemed healthy and robust.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. It is very likely that he has an abscess in that area, or he may have damage to his spinal cord. It would be best to get him to the vet to be evaluated. The only sedative your can try is acepromazine. Your vet would be having to be willing to prescribe it for him before seeing him in order to get him in. Some vets would and some vets would not because of potential side effect complications. It would be completely up to that vet, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.