Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

The cat has feline astma JA: I'll do all I can to help. What

Customer Question

The cat has feline astma
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: The cat has feline astma. We are nebulizing 3 times a day with 3ccs of ringers and .75 ccs of mucamist. we have albutol sulfate in a preparation for nebulizing but don't knowhether we shoul use it.
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: she is wrasping when she breaths and is having trouble breathing.
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: She appears to be getting better her nostrils are staying open we are hydrating her as needed with ringers and sucrate2,5 % and force feeding her twice a day
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Manon and is 10. she is aSingapura.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Manon?
Customer: we are under vets care he has xrayed her and the results were feline aswtma
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Albuterol can be helpful as emergency treatment in our asthmatics when administered using an MDI but corticosteroids such as fluticasone administered by MDI are the mainstay for treatment of these cats. Albuterol will cause significant bronchodilation within 5-15 minutes and lasts 3-4 hours. It's important to recognize, however, that there are two forms (enantiomers) of albuterol - active and inactive; most formulations available are combinations of the two forms with the proportion of the active form varying from 16-50%. Chronic use of the inactive form can result in worsening airway inflammation in cats. Where available, single enantiomer albuterol should be used. It is usually used once daily when needed and is administered before fluticasone. Please note, too, that albuterol should be used with care in patients with pre-existing cardiac disease , hyperthyroidism, hypertension, or seizures.Please tell me your primary reason for being reticent to use the albuterol that was prescribed for Manon.