Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I know cats lose hair whenever the weather warms, but my long

Customer Question

I know cats lose hair whenever the weather warms, but my long hair cat is losing a little hair on her back near her tail. I have noticed what looks like a little danriff
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: she is 6 years old, her name is baby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baby?
Customer: not really, she eats well, loves to play and hates any loud noise
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.
How much biting at this area are you seeing with Baby? Our dermatologists tell us to apply an effective over the counter flea spot-on such as Advantage or a fipronil-containing product such as Frontline or one of the newer prescription products available from Baby's vet even if fleas aren't seen. Cats can be such effective groomers so as to eliminate all evidence of flea infestation. Indoor cats can contract fleas because we walk them in on us and flea eggs and larva can remain viable in your home for months. As the weather warms at this time of year egg hatches are common. Flea saliva allergy is usually most evident on the saddle area – the area between the edge of the rib cage and tail. In severe cases, an anti-allergenic prescription corticosteroid such as prednisolone will work wonders for cats allergic to the saliva of the flea. Your other pets may not be allergic to the saliva of the flea.