Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

What is it they give a cat to calm him before a long trip.

Customer Question

What is it they give a cat to calm him before a long trip./?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Great question. The most commonly prescribed medication to accomplish this is acepromazine which is usually a yellow pill. Alternatively, some veterinarians may prescribe alprazolam (xanax) and I think this is a blue pill. These are both prescription and unfortunately you would need to have Mickey's regular veterinarian prescribe one of these.Some people have success using Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for this but I do not find it works very well. This is not prescription. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.