Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.
92155571

My 4 year old kitten cissy is impacted from eating litter.

Customer Question

My 4 year old kitten cissy is impacted from eating litter. She is in dire condition. Is not eating or drinking for week. She has lost all energy and is laying in front of me. Any movement exhaust her and causes her to cry in pain. I am60 yrs old. Lost my business and have no money. Jim(###) ###-####
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm very sorry to hear about Cissy's troubles. Some things you can try at home for constipation are giving her mineral oil or vaseline. You can syringe feed her about 3 ml of mineral oil every 6-8 hours, or you can give her a couple teaspoons of vaseline. Just wipe the vaseline on her gums so that she will lick it off.You should also try to increase her water intake by mixing some canned for with water and making a tomato soup consistency solution that you can syringe feed her. If she tolerates it ok, you can feed her 5-6 ml of this every few hours. This will help her get her some energy back as well. Just make sure not to force it and cause her to inhale the mixture instead. Just syringe it onto her tongue and allow her to swallow.If the mineral oil or vaseline is going to work, you should see some improvement by tomorrow. It may take a little while to get all of the hard feces out however, so even if she has a bowel movement, you may want to continue to give her the treatment until you are confident that she is empty.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!