Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is lossing the use of his back legs the vet told us

Customer Question

my cat is lossing the use of his back legs the vet told us it was nerve damage
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. What tests did your vet do?Has he been progressively losing use? Feeling in the legs?Does he try to step on tops of his back feet? Or drop his whole hock and walk on that too?Any history of falls, traumas, or other health issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he try to walk but fall down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no other health issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vet took xray but it did not show anything
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** has he actually had the signs?And did this come on suddenly or gradually?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
How long has he been on the steroids? Any changes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about two weeks now and it was suddenly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about two weeks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the vet told us to get a MRI but i do not have $1600.00 to pay for it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are thing about putting him to sleep he is in pain and we just can not see him this way
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** these situations, we do have a range of concerns for Morris. Nerve degeneration secondary to age certainly could cause these signs. That said, while xray rules out bone based issues and arthritis; we still would also be wary of other issues that wouldn’t show on xray. Mainly this will be conditions affecting the spine like spinal inflammation, bleeds, spinal swelling, and compression of the spine from ruptured discs, abscesses or tumors. And I would note that all of these can come on suddenly and therefore would be additional concerns for Morris. With this in mind, steroids are a reasonable treatment option at this stage. They can slow nerve degeneration and reduce inflammation. Though since nerve tissue is the slowest to heal, we do often need to treat for a few weeks before we see improvement. That said, I have to agree with his vet that an MRI would be ideal. This is because spinal conditions are one of those tricky ones where MRI or CT are the only way to see through the bones that encase the spinal cord. So, the only way to know if those others are present would be to have that test done.Overall, nerve degeneration could cause what you are seeing but as it was sudden I'd be more concerned about his spine. As well, if he is painful, then disc issues or a spinal tumor would be my top concern here. And as both tend to need surgery to help them, if that isn't an option for Morris then we'd need to speak to his vet about adding in pain relief (ie Gabapentin, Buprenorphine) with his steroids or unfortunately letting him go to prevent suffering. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have been giving him prednisone for 2 weeks now. the first week we gave it to him 2 times a day and the other week we gave it to him once a day they are 5 mg tablets. we are giving him the medication via crushing up the pill and giving it to him via a syringe do you think this dose is right and how long exactly should this medication take to work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about the question of walking on his toes he curls his toes inward and tries to walk that way he has tried to walk flat-footed but he's been taking 2 steps and falling over and tries to drag his back legs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,If that is how he is walking, it confirms nerve or spinal issues (as opposed to bone based issues or generalized weakness). Otherwise, the dose sounds adequate for a cat, but if he wasn't improving we may need to keep up on the twice daily for longer. And again if he has pain despite steroids, we need to discuss those other pain relief options that can be used alongside the steroids.Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )