Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I have a kitten that is 4-6 weeks old. I just got him today,

Customer Question

I have a kitten that is 4-6 weeks old. I just got him today, and I'm worried about his health. He has refused the bottle in the past 6 hours, and all he has done is sleep in the past 6 hours.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me: Was this kitten not weaned before you took it on?Was this kitten previously with its mum? Or was it a bottle baby?Are you using a kitten specific milk replacer? Will it eat any solid food?Any changes to its breathing? Coughing, wheezing, or sneezing?Any sign of paling gums?Is it passing stool regularly? Any belly distension or straining?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This kitten was previously with its mom and I believe it did have some nursing with its mom but I don't believe it was weaned. We have been helping it eat some wet kitten food mixed with KMR. His breathing seems fine and the vet I took it to today said it has a strong heart beat. He was under weight and did not have any stool in him at the vet, but they were able to test what little they got out of him and he was negative for worms. That being said, he has not passed any stool yet since I've had him. Which has been 24 hours. I'm just very worried about how weak he seems, he has been sleeping non stop.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you,I am glad to see that he has been seen and that his vet has made sure we didn't have serious issues afoot. In that case, while an unweaned kitten really should not have left his mum, you sound to be on the right foot with his care.Though if he hasn't passed stool and is weak, then we do need to tread with care. To start, since he is weak/lethargic, do consider trying to boost his blood sugar. To do so, you can try rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into his and hopefully perk him up for us.Otherwise, if he was just found empty before, then its possible that body did absorb all it could (trying to help him gain weight). Though we need to start seeing some. Therefore, you may need to bottle feed as well as offer the mixture. And if you do give a bottle, consider just adding a small drop of cat hairball treatment to the milk. It s a mild GI lubricant and can just help get stool passing if we do have a brewing constipation. Take care & best wishes for this little one,Dr. B.