Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

My cat's right eye teats up a lot and when I wipe it, it is

Customer Question

My cat's right eye teats up a lot and when I wipe it, it is brownish in color
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 months ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Is there any redness in that eye? Is she squinting or sensitive to light?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She squints a bit and tries to wipe it. She fights me when I try to wipe it. It used to be clear and now it is brown
Ok thank you,So any time there is squinting or light sensitivity we worry about the cornea being involved. The cornea is a clear layer of cells that covers the front of the eye. When there is any kind of injury, such as a scratch, the eye becomes sensitive and they squint. So the vet can put a yellow dye in the eye and if there is corneal involvement the dye will stick. Corneal injury can also cause clear drainage.The change in the drainage from clear to brown indicates there is probably an infection at this point.So I would try to get he into a vet tomorrow. They will put the yellow dye in the eye to check for cornea issues and to see if her tear duct is open and the tears are draining down rather than up and out over the eyelid.Most likely the vet will prescribe an antibiotic eye drop or ointment.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby