Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I have a lamb that was attacked by predators, bitten in neck

Customer Question

I have a lamb that was attacked by predators, bitten in neck and head . Lamb walks in circles now froths at the mouth. Is this listeria ? Is it contagious ?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, if the lamb was attacked, then we'd not be worried about Listeria. Instead, her signs are suggesting brain based issues. The most likely would be sepsis from bacteria spread by the bite. If they penetrated the skull, this could be direct. Otherwise, it likely has spread by entering the blood stream. As well, we could also see these signs with an associated brain bleed or swelling (especially if she was grabbed by the neck and shook), or damage from this lamb being deprived oxygen during the attack.With all this in mind and the severity of its signs, we do need to tread with care. This isn't likely something the others can catch but we may need to isolate her somewhere where she can move safely and we can monitor her eating/drinking (especially as hand feeding may be required here). Otherwise, we could start a broad spectrum antibiotic (ie Penicillin, Oxytetracycline) to counter infection. As well, use of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like Flunixin, Ketoprofen or Carprofen from your vet could help reduce any brain swelling. Just to note, avoid Aspirin as it is a blood thinner and can worsen traumatic situations.Overall, this little one has a guarded prognosis with its development of brain based neurological signs. It isn't likely to be contagious but we'd be concerned that these signs may be permanent. Still, we'd want to move it to a safe pen and start supportive care to see if we can reduce these signs and help this little one. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.