Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My female cat recently had a litter of kittens. She was totally

Customer Question

My female cat recently had a litter of kittens. She was totally happy and healthy with them, nursing regularly and eating normally and everything, until suddenly last night she wouldnt let them nurse, she started hiding, and she hasn't been eating. She seems to be yowling, like she's in heat agian, but has not growled or hissed as is common for her when she is in pain. I'm very concerned about her. What can I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Now I do have to note that it is quite possible that Spooky is in heat again, as female cats can begin cycling and get pregnant even as they nurse their kittens. So, we do need to keep and boys away. That said, they usually won't hide or go off food. So, seeing these signs would raise concerns of an opportunistic infection potentially taking advantage of her stressed immune system. In this case, since we are limited in what treatments are safe for a nursing cat and since cats are not designed to be off food for long (as it can cause secondary liver problems and even dry up her milk), we do need to tread with care. You can try tempting her or syringe feeding her a calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food) or liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure). Or you can also try her with a nutrient paste supplements (ie Nutrical). And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in. Though if she cannot be tempted or doesnt' respond to syringe feeding alone, we'd need to plan to have a check with her vet. They can pinpoint the root of her signs and dispense treatment (ie antibiotics, appetite stimulants, etc) to get her eating again before she does suffer those aforementioned complications or becomes unable to even feed her kittens. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.