Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

My cat just went through her first heat and now there's white

Customer Question

My cat just went through her first heat and now there's white stuff coming out of her vagina
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
Customer: So she just finished her first heat. And I'm noticing her growling and licking her vagina a lot. Then when I look I see a white discharge coming out. What's wrong with her?
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** I think she's around 9 to 10 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mika?
Customer: I think it just started maybe an hour or two ago?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 months ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. The milky vaginal discharge indicates an infection. It could be a uterine infection which is called "pyometra." It could also be a urinary tract infection. If you notice she is urinating more frequently and going in and out of the litter box then it is probably a urinary tract infection.The treatment for a urinary tract infection is antibiotics. First a urine test is done to check for signs of infection. Then antibiotics can be prescribed.If she has pyometra (infected uterus) the uterus will need to be surgically removed which is like having her spayed. Antibiotics will be prescribed as well.So, she is going to have to see a vet for a diagnosis and antibiotics.Ideally she would see the ER vet over the weekend.If that is not an option then take her to the regular vet as soon as they open on Monday morning.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?