Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

I have been treating NY cat days mites with

Customer Question

I have been treating NY cat for three days for ear mites with natural ear wash and now he has a big lump under one of his ear. And it feels like it has fluid in it. And he is not eating as well as he has been.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Striper. He is about almost 1 and a half.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Striper?
Customer: No. He is an indoor cat. Tiger.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This mass is most likely an abscess growing there. These are infections that have gotten under the skin and fill with pus. This could be due to the treatment you are giving or from a fight with another cat. The best thing you can do is to apply hot compresses to this area every 4-6 hrs to help draw the infection to the outside. When pus comes out, clean this every 8 hrs with peroxide to get rid of the bacteria. If you are not sure that Tiger has ear mites, do not use this ear wash for now. His reaction may have been due to the abscess forming rather than a problem with his ears. If he had ear mites, you would see a lot of black discharge inside his ears and this will require an "ear mite" treatment available at the pet store. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes. That makes perfect scene. And I am positive it was was mights. Because he did have black discharge after cleaning his ears. So I will use the warm compress. Also, I heard I can give him 10mg. Of benedryl. Is that true?
yes, 10 mg of Benadryl will make him drowsy so you can work with Tiger but does nothing for the discomfort of these creepy bugs... If Tiger is scratching a lot at the ears, this lump may be merely fluid due to the trauma and that will resolve. Be sure to use something such as Eradimite or Sentry ear mite treatment for cats available at the pet store.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes. Thank you.
You are very welcome! Good luck to your sweet Tiger!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta