Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

I took my cat to the vet and they were concerned about his

Customer Question

I took my cat to the vet and they were concerned about his urine sample so they cultured it to identify the best antibiotic to treat it. His ultrasound showed crystals in his bladder. He was having issues urinating in random places in the house. They prescribed him a special diet (no medicine) and the urination problem has gotten worse. It is so bad that I have locked all three cats in the basement, since I thought it would be stressful if I isolated him. Since there are 2 male and one female I am giving them all the special food. They are exclusively indoor cats. My oldest cat is doing a lot of complaining since he enjoys fancy feast chicken or seafood medleys. I used to split a small can between the tree of them in the morning. The cat with the problem has lost weight, and I am concerned about him. Should I have a second option? Higher concentrations of anything he would have could possibly be revealed in a blood test.
My 11 year old son is also complaining because he is accustomed to the cats sleeping in his bed. The cat with the problem has urinated in his bed twice, which really means to be he can't control the problem and needs treatment other than a special diet cat food.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Since this has come on suddenly, it appears that Mars has a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and this re Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Sorry...let me continue.... The UTI requires antibiotics and if your vet did not prescribe this, take Mars back. This will not resolve merely with a food change. If Mars is on antibiotics, either it is the wrong one or he is now suffering from inappropriate elimination due to territory issues with your other cats...please let me know if Mars is being treated. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta