Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 1.5 year old female fancy rat developed a rapidly growing

Customer Question

My 1.5 year old female fancy rat developed a rapidly growing tumor in what seems to be her armpit. Reading online it may be a blocked mamory gland as the nipple is in the middle of the mass. It doesn't seem to hurt her, but is now growing to be a third the size of her body. I can tell now it's troublesome to her as she has to carry it around with her, and sleep on it, etc. We tried antibiotic and steroid at the advice of a vet friend, but after a week or two, there were no changes.
What can I do? I feel helpless and really don't wish to euthanize her as I don't believe she's in pain, it's just become an annoyance.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now I have to say that I am concerned about your lass.We can see blocked mammary glands but they are rare and do not often get as large as you have reported. Furthermore, if this wasn't responsive to your friend's treatment, this does make soft tissue inflammation and abscesses also less likely.With this all in mind, we'd be wary of this being either a cancerous or benign mass. So, if it is causing her bother, I would suggest that you speak to her vet about testing it (if you wanted to determine which was present) but ultimately surgically removing it. Even if it is a nasty cancer, surgical removal can be of benefit. It would stop her current struggles and avoid any risk of the mass causing skin ulceration (which would be painful and an infection risk). And often that will buy us a good quality time with them and avoid them having to drag a heavy mass along as they try to live their lives. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** at a rough time right now financially and a vet visit may not be affordble....
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome,That is unfortunate since this does look more like a mammary mass then a blockage. Though at the end of the day, remember that as long as she isn't sore and able to get around, you don't need to put her down and can enjoy as much time with her as possible.Best wishes to you both,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )