Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Kitten under 8 wks of age bathed with harts flea n tick shampoo

Customer Question

Kitten under 8 wks of age bathed with harts flea n tick shampoo now showing signs of poisoning...tremors, lethargy, mouth open. Is there anything I can do here at home?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your kitten. If she is having tremors already, then truly you should seek emergency care. We need to use injectable muscle relaxers and sometimes anti-seizure medications to control these, and sometimes they can progress to seizures. If she wasn't already tremoring and wasn't having her mouth open, you could try washing her with dawn dish soap to remove the product, but since she is already showing symptoms, it is in her blood stream already and the safest thing is to take her to an emergency clinic.Do you know the ingredients in the shampoo?Do you have an emergency vet available?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is he going to die?
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I cannot tell you that. In some cats, this can be fatal if untreated, others may survive, but the safest thing to do would be to seek treatment.Do you know the ingredients on the label?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't show ingredients
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I thought it was a flea and tick shampoo? This appears to be something else, which may mean the signs are from something else. Have you used any other products on her? Can you show me the front label?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to send a video of the kitten
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Did you use any other products on her? Can you show me the front label of the shampoo? Has she been outdoors or unattended where she could have gotten into something?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sending picture
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Still hasn't come through. Is the kitty still tremoring and open mouth breathing? If the kitten is, I would still recommend a visit to the emergency vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Been trying to send picture and video
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I am not sure why it isn't working. Can you tell me the name on the front of the bottle?Have you put anything else on the kitten? Has she been outdoors or unattended where she could have gotten into something?Is she still tremoring with open mouth breathing?
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hello, are you still there?