Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

WHAT TREATMENT IS AVAILABLE IF LASIX IS INEFFECTIVE. LUNGS ARE FILLED WITH FLUID. PLEASE R

Customer Question

WHAT TREATMENT IS AVAILABLE IF LASIX IS INEFFECTIVE. LUNGS ARE FILLED WITH FLUID. PLEASE READ MY NARRATIVE.
THERE HAS GOT TO BE A FELINE MEDICATION FOR A CAT WHO HAS THIS AND
HAS HAD NO OTHER LUNG OR CARDIAC DISEASE AND PERFECT LABS
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Can you clear up a couple things. Do you know if he has pleural effusion (fluid around the lungs) or pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs)?Also, what dose of Lasix is he on? What does he weigh?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
In the mean time, the first thing I do for those that are not responding is increasing the Lasix dose. I'll go up to 4-6 mg/kg/day in some cats. If I'm at the high end and they're still pushing fluid in the lungs, then I'll add a second line diuretic- Spironolactone. I'll also consider other heart meds- Enalapril (or other ACE Inhibitor), Diltiazem and Pimobendan (Vetmedin). These can all help the heart function. Lastly, if there is pleural effusion, it needs to be tapped. Those don't resolve with meds alone. We need to do a thoracocentesis to get the fluid out quickly. I hope this helps.