Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My l5 year old male cat has been in good health .

Customer Question

My l5 year old male cat has been in good health for years. The past month he has lost weight and refused to eat after his buddy cat ran away. Vet said his labs were all normal but suspected he had renal disease age related. New test for renal disease tested normal.
He was hospitalized last week and received IV fluids to rehydrate him.
Came home and ate well last Friday May 3 by Monday I took him back to vet as he
lost weight, X-rays showed fluid in lungs, compressing heart, with possible mass in
that was not visible due to fluid. I was told he has days to weeks to live. He has labored
breathing, and has not eated or taken fluids since Tuesday. Vet won't see him today.
Question: Can aspiration of fluid be done, did IV fluids overload him. I am desperate.
I am a nurse practitioner and am familiar with medications. Is there anything I can give him until I can get him to another vet tomorrow. Please help. I am desperate Lois Heuer
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
WHAT A SHAM THIS SITE IT. I DID FILL OUT EVERYTHING, AND INCLUDING THE REQUIRED $5.00 deposit. THEN THE SITE KEPT SAYING MY PASSWORD ***** INVALID. WHAT MEDICAL SITE DOES THAT UNPROFESSIONAL CONDUCT, THEN CLOSES IT. SHAME ON YOU WHO OF ALL PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE A SYSTEM THAT WORKS AND IS COMPASSIONATE.
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your kitty! What a tough situation it sounds like you are in. Can you tell me where you live? If your kitty is having trouble breathing, it really would be best for him to be seen today. I can look and see if there are any emergency vets or internists or cardiologists in your area.In some instances of fluid in the chest we can do a thoracocentesis, and use a needle to remove some of the fluid, but it depends on where the fluid is located. If the fluid in is in the pleural space, then we can sometimes remove it. If it is pulmonary edema, and the fluid is in the lungs themselves, then thoracocentesis is not going to work.
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry you were having issues with the site, unfortunately I cannot help you with that portion, I am just here on the medical side of things and have no control over anything other than our conversation. If you do not wish to continue, I can send a message to the site administrator, just let me know if you want to proceed or not.