Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat lays around, she won't eat or drink, has only gone to

Customer Question

my cat lays around, she won't eat or drink, has only gone to the litter once for urine and has not had a stool in a couple of days, tries to throw up, but it is kind of foamy and is milky colored.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hi Customer,I am sorry Ruby is so ill.Can you please tell me what led up to this?Was she outside, ingested a toxin, go hurt, other?What foods have you tried?Thanks,Terri
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She never is outside, I had a bouquet of flowers and I am thinking that she might have somehow got into that. She only eats dry iams is a very fussy eater. Nothing has changed in her diet.
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Dear Customer,Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.Do you know what type of flowers were in the bouquet?Some plants cause vomiting.First, rub a drop of pancake syrup or honey into her gums to raise her blod sugar in case she is hypoglycemic. It should perk her up in minutes.Next, drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and let her lap it up for hydration.If she does, offer some tuna.Get a jar of human chicken or turkey baby food with no onion or garlic.Add one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine) to a tablespoon of food.http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.htmlWait 20 minutes an offer more baby food.Please let me know if she eats and how she is doing.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regards,Terri
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I took my cat to the vet and he said she had a urinary track infection, he gave her an anti body SHOT how long will it take her to start feeling better? It has been two days and it seems as if she is not doing better at all.
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hi ChardonaShe should feel better after 4 doses of antibiotic.You can help by giving her 3 drops of cranberry juice (by dropper) every day. It will lower the PH of her urine and stop the burning sensation she feels when she urinates.Up her fluids as well to flush the bladder.Drain the water from a can of tuna and let he lap it up for hydration.Esteemed authorities believe UTI's are caused by dry food.Please read article by a feline vet:www.catinfo.orgPlease let me know how she is doing.Please be so kind as to rate my answer so I am compensated by the site. Rating will not close our conversation. I will still be here for you at no additional charge.