Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 4 year old female cat has thrown up twice in the last 12

Customer Question

My 4 year old female cat has thrown up twice in the last 12 hours. Her behavior is normal, she's eating & drinking. Normally I wouldn't worry but I just learned that Lily of the Valley can be toxic. I had a few stems in the house and she was rubbing her nose on the flowers.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the cat ate?
Customer: I examined the Lily of the Valley petals and stems - it doesn't appear she's eaten any of it. Since she first threw up, she has eaten her normal cat food and cat treats.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: the only extra piece of information I can think to mention is she's still playful & has been purring like normal.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. What did her vomit look like? Any plant material there?Can she keep water down? Drinking any more then usual?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Has she had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The first time she vomitted (about 6pm last night) it was mostly food with some clear liquid. This morning it was just clear liquid. Neither time was there plant material in her vomit. She was just drinking a few minutes ago and that seems to be staying down. I haven't noticed her drinking anymore than usual. Her gums are pink and a little moist. She didn't react when I pressed on her belly. There's been no diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you,Now I am glad that we aren't seeing plant material nor those other signs, as these are toxic as you noted and often cause GI upset (vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea) but also can affect the heart, blood pressure, and cause seizures. So, we do want to make sure this is out of reach from now on. Otherwise, while we do need to consider this as a possible trigger for her nausea, other considerations would include gut infections, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, and general dietary indiscretions. With this all in mind, since she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication. Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Overall, the lily is a concern but we do have some other considerations for her nausea and vomiting. Therefore, since the plant looks undisturbed and she hasn't brought up plant material, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.