Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have a manx cat that has been diagnosed with a saddle thrombi,

Customer Question

I have a manx cat that has been diagnosed with a saddle thrombi, is there anything that can be done? Please help.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your cat. This is a really tough disease in cats. In the vast majority of cases, the end result is euthanasia. We do occasionally attempt treatment, but it's a select few cats. If they have a low body temperature or significant pain, it's unlikely to be successful. If they have a normal temperature, they are not overly painful and they don't have respiratory signs, then I may try putting them on pain meds, heart meds and anti-thrombotics. I typically go with Buprenex for pain, Aspirin and Plavix to help with the clots and Enalapril +/- other heart meds for the heart disease. I often times leave that up to the cardiologist after doing an echo (ultrasound of the heart) to see what heart disease is present and how severe it is. I hope things go well, I know it's not easy.Let me know if you have any other questions.