Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is 16 years old, had four seizures out of the blue around

Customer Question

My cat is 16 years old, had four seizures out of the blue around Christmas over a period of about two weeks. Has been controlled since. Saturday put him on Clavamox for UTI and has had a seizure last night and another tonight.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Clarence
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Clarence?
Customer: He is on phenobarb now . He was taking 15mg twice daily but was lethargic so we had successfully reduced it to a half tablet twice daily. Yesterday I didn't split the tablet very evenly and thought that was the problem but I can't blame that today. He has a kidney stone and they want to do surgery. He is otherwise quite healthy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. For now, I would talk with your vet about doing Phenobarbital levels. It may be that we're getting a little low on our phenobarb blood levels and the dose needs to be increased. This is not uncommon as animals get used to Phenobarb. If the Phenobarb levels are ok, then I would consider adding a second line anti-seizure medication like Keppra or Zonisamide. I don't think I would do it quite yet, but any more seizures in the next 2-3 weeks and I'd add something to get them back under control. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?