Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Our beautiful cat jessie has been diagnosed with a tumor in

Customer Question

our beautiful cat jessie has been diagnosed with a tumor in her heart, not sure whether it is malignant or benign. He had a scan yesterday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. How old is Jessie?
Customer: j
JA: Huh?
Customer: so sorry i don't know what happened there. I was actually talking about our cat jessie being diagnosed with a tumor around his heart, we have been taking him to the vets for the last two weeks, so they can withdraw fluid from his lungs. (lymphatic i think). He is eating well, and his respirations are not so rapid. when he was scanned, the fluid hadn'nt built up
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jessie?
Customer: No not really, He has been so healthy, up to now. Bloods were done and he had low protein levels, red and white blood cells were normal, and no cancer cells were detected. I would just like an opinion on what treatment is on offer and whether drugs are effective. Our vet is away until monday. Many thanks for some advise, I would really appreciate it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.
HI this is DRB, are you available for chat online now?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
yes that would be great.
Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.
Ok, can you first tell me how old is your kitty?
Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.
How big is the tumor on xrays, do you know?
Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my cat is eight years old. I don't know the size of the tumor, I rang the vet this morning, but she is out on the field today.
Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.
Did your vet tell you that they did not know if the tumor was benign or malignant?
Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.
The reason I am asking you that question is because if there is truly a heart based mass is is very unlikely that it is benign......
Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.
Almost all heart masses in cats are going to be malignant. Were you considering chemotherapy?
Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.
Are you still with me?
Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.
Ok, since I ma not hearing back from you I ma going to opt out and allow another expert to assist you. Sincerely, DRB
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure if they are going to do a biopsy or not, but there were no cancer cells in the lymphatic fluid. Just saw your answer re malignancy, If we consider chemotherapy, we have to take him to a specialist vet, an hour away from where we live, and the cost would be enormous, but it will be something we will definitely think about. many thanks for your excellent service.