Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 13 year old kitty, he's been eating normally and

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 13 year old kitty, he's been eating normally and acting the same way he always has, but lately I've noticed he's been vomiting more often and losing some weight. He's had a basic set of labs that came back normal, what could be the cause?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: He came from a farm so I'm not sure what breed he is, but I think he's a tabby mix
JA: OK. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the tabby?
Customer: He's never vomited much before now, and he's been traveling back and forth with me to college this year, which he's never done before
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.How long has this been going on for?How long ago did he have this lab work?Do you know if they checked his thyroid levels with that lab work?Any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He's lost about a pound and a half, I've noticed it over a few months. The vomiting is very intermittent over the last few months, he'll go a few weeks without vomiting then vomit several times in a week. The lab work was about a month ago, and his thyroid levels were checked and came back normal. He only had one isolated episode of diarrhea and that never happened before and has not happened since.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the information. If the routine lab work, including the thyroid value, was normal; then I would be looking for a primary gastrointestinal issue. Inflammatory bowel disease and gastrointestinal lymphoma would be the major concerns. You usually have some diarrhea involved, but if it is closer to the stomach area, you may not. Also, many of these chronic vomiting cats actually have an underlying pancreatitis, which can go hand in hand with inflammatory bowel disease and/or liver issues. After years of chronic inflammation, the pancreas becomes so scarred that it can no longer produce the necessary digestive enzymes. From here, I would recommend getting an abdominal ultrasound and consider a gastrointestinal panel, which will measure TLI for pancreatic insufficiency, CPL for pancreatic inflammation and a serum cobalamin/folate to evaluate for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (cobalamin is required for digestion as well). Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.