Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My cat has been showing minor symptoms couple of days

Customer Question

My cat has been showing minor symptoms for a couple of days (some diarrhea, refusing dry food, lethargic; but in good spirits, drinking water and eating a bit of canned food every day). I was planning to take her to the vet tomorrow. However, she just got up and started wandering around the apartment looking distressed (tail lowered and twitching, breathing a bit faster than usual, restless, crying). I'm worried -- any suggestions?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.The recent symptoms that your cat is displaying are all suggestive of pain...... the crying, the tail twitching and the fast breathing. Unfortunately it is not easy with cats to determine where the pain is coming from and often a good exam and X-rays are needed. It could be something simple, like a bladder infection, or something serious, like a twisted bowel. The best thing to do is to try to get her into the vet today. Does your vet take urgent care appointment? Can you call and find out if they will see him sooner.If not, then I would look at a few things... is the abdomen distended in any way? Is it painful when you press on it? Is her breathing getting faster to the point where she is opening her mouth when she breaths? Are her gums (if you can check them) pale? If you see any of these things then I would consider this an emergency and find an emergency vet to see her now. If not, then you can try to keep her as comfortable as possible until you appointment tomorrow, but there isn't much you can give her or do for her until you know where the pain is coming from.I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know!