Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat has been unable to eat solid food than 7 weeks,

Customer Question

My cat has been unable to eat solid food for more than 7 weeks, I have taken him to 3 vet clinics, blood work, inspection of the mouth, scoping of the throat, on and on,, The most one vet could say was he has an inner ear infection, he started choking when purring, has been losing his balance for 3 weeks, has lost 5 pounds since the illness was noticed, The vet gave him some cortizone/ steroid, I have been treating him with oral antibiotics,, nothing is helping, he is getting weaker and not much hope left.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Solo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Solo?
Customer: No, He is a12 year old tabby, was very very healthy,, noticed this winter periodic sneezing that did not seem normal,, I feel this was the start of his illness.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your cat. To get a diagnosis, you'll probably need to get biopsy samples of the intestines, lymph nodes and liver. That would determine if this is IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), liver disease, Lymphoma (cancer) or some other condition. I think for now, the focus needs to be on nutrition. I would put in a feeding tube called an esophagotomy tube (e-tube). This goes into the esophagus and it is well managed and well tolerated in cats. It can be left in for weeks to months without issues. This will allow you to slowly start feeding him and getting him back up to his nutritional needs. If you could get biopsies at the same time, that would be ideal. If he's too weak, I would place the tube and feed for a few days before getting samples taken. My gut says this is Lymphoma given his age, signs and the lack of a diagnosis on bloodwork. Many Lymphoma cats have normal bloodwork and it takes intestinal biopsies to diagnose it. Treatment is then with steroids (Prednisolone) and chemotherapy. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?