Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 4 week old female orphan kitten that I rescued and

Customer Question

I have a 4 week old female orphan kitten that I rescued and took in recently and I attend school part time and I put her inside a big bin with a bowl of food and water . I don't know anything about rising kittens , so I left the food in their with her so she can eat . Was that a good idea or not? I want her to be able to have access to food when I gone , yet I don't want her to over-eat because I'm not home to stimulate her to go to the bathroom
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Thanks for rescuing Bellah. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Is she able to eat and drink from a dish? If she is too young, she may need to be bottle fed. If she will take food from a dish, you just need to provide kitten food, water, and a litter pan. Monitor to be sure she does not have diarrhea, and take her for her first vaccinations in a couple of weeks. She should have access to food, so I think you did right. If she is old enough to eat on her own, she does not need stimulation to urinate and defecate. I have seen 3 week old kittens start to use a litter box. She won't over eat at her age; she needs to eat small meals often. If she gets diarrhea, take a stool specimen to a veterinarian to be tested for parasites. Let me know what else I can answer or help with.