Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

Pearl! My energetic talkative kitty isn't drinking or eating.

Customer Question

Hi, Pearl! My energetic talkative kitty isn't drinking or eating.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: I saw her at 5 am when I got up for work, her name is Aurora.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Aurora?
Customer: She is 6 1/2 years old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She had a tooth extraction 2 years ago and her and our cat haven't been getting along too well so we separate them when we aren't at home. I called my vet and asked them to call me tomorrow when they open. She moves a little but not much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long has she had these signs?Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?Any coughing, sneezing, breathing changes, or discharges at the eye or nose?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?Has she had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I saw her at 5 am when I got up to feed her and she seemed normal and responsive so i got ready for work and she disappeared when I left at 6. Her tummy does seem to really bother her as she is laying on it. No vomiting or diarrhea; no gagging She doesn't like us touching her teeth but I figured a way to give her water at least. No coughing, actually no sound at all? Little bit of a wtet nose but not out of the ordinary. She didn't eat anything out of the ordinary.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** a cat goes off their food and refuses to drink, it is a vague clinical signs that can occur with a range of issues. Often it will be prompted by oral differentials (ie dental disease, oral ulcers/traumas, etc) or nausea inducing issues (ie gut infections, IBD, metabolic conditions, organ disease (ie liver or kidney troubles), cancer, toxin and/or foreign material ingestion (the last two hopefully less likely in her situation). So, we have quite a bit to consider for Aurora.As well, to complicate matters, we get very concerned for cats who go off their food because cats were not well designed for the anorexic lifestyle. When they are off their food, body fat is broken down and released into the blood stream, causing their liver distress (ie. hepatic lipidosis) that can make getting them better even more difficult for us.With this all in mind, if she is turning away from food, we do want to be proactive here. If her mouth appears sore, we'd need to consider having her seen at this stage since there is little we can do at home. Otherwise, if you want to rule out nausea here, you can try her on an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. Further to this, you will want to try and see if you can get her eating (as I am sure you have been). Favourite foods are allowed or you can tempt her with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used here (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity.)Though if we try tempting and she refuses, we may need to consider syringe feeding (we don't usually have to start it so soon, but I do want to note it as an option so you are armed if need be). To syringe feed, we can water down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in and buy us time to get to the root of this for her.As well, in regards ***** ***** fluids, I am glad to see that you are but do need to warn you that a non-drinking cat needs 48ml per kilogram of their weight daily. So, it does mean multiple offerings over the day for them if they cannot drink on their own.Overall, when a cat is anorexic, it can mean a wide range of underlying issues. Therefore, if you try the above and do not see improvement in 12-24 hours or Aurora worsens (vomits, etc), then you do want to get your vet involved at that stage. They can assess her hydration, check her mouth for ongoing issues, rule out any sinister lumps/bumps or internal issues. As well, you may consider having them check a blood sample to assess the state of her organs. They can also cover her with antibiotics, anti-nausea medication by injection and even appetite stimulating drugs if necessary. Depending on the findings, the vet will be able advise you on what is likely our culprit and what can be done to nip this in the bud for her. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: ).
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She had a blood clot in her left atrium and then moved an paralyzed her so we chose to put her down on Sunday. Thank you for your email but please don't send me anymore as I'm heart broken. She was greatly loved!!!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Good evening,The poor love! I am very sorry to hear that she did have a clot and has now passed.I will certain refrain from sending any messages, but as I am sure you can appreciate this is the only one I have sent and any others have been from the website.Take care,Dr. B.