Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat received a large cut several inches long to the underside

Customer Question

My cat received a large cut several inches long to the underside of her tail. My vet stitched the wound up, but
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: No it was two weeks ago, I'm wondering now if the tail seems stiff is that a sign that the tail is dead? Or is it just still healing? She will be getting her stitches out soon, but trying to prepare my self for possible need for amputation of the tail.
JA: Phew. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: She can move it at the base, but she has not moved the rest of her tail, I'm aware that nerve damage is possible and that sometimes hey recover from the nerve damage but it would take time, it mostly concerns me that the tail below the base is stiff.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today. Does she move the lower portion of the tail at all?Is it cold to the touch?If you pinch the tail tip, does she look or react like she can feel it?