Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

We applied Hartz Pro Guard to our 2 cats - but it was very

Customer Question

We applied Hartz Pro Guard to our 2 cats - but it was very messy and the cats definintely licked some. Should we be concerned?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.Was this the Harz Ultraguard Pro for cats?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
One of the cats seems to be hyper-ventilating. Can we do anything?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
What do you mean by hyperventilating? Is she panting? I also want to make sure we have the right product. Was this the Harz Ultraguard Pro for cats?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes. Ultra guard pro. Cats seem to be panting
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Rather, one of the cats is panting.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the information. One of the ingredients in this product, etofenprox, is in a class of drugs called pyrethroids, which can be very toxic to if ingested. This is one of the reasons most vets don't recommend Hartz products. It can cause neurologic signs such as tremors and seizures, a drop in body temperature and toxicity to the kidneys. Unfortunately, there isn't an antidote for it. Cats usually need to be put on supportive care with intravenous fluids, medications to control seizures or tremors and support for body temperature. Besides bathing in Dawn dish soap to attempt to remove the rest of the topical from the coat, there isn't much you can do at home. In general, panting is not a good sign in cats. If that is what you are seeing, my best advice is to her to your nearest veterinary emergency clinic. If on proper care, most cats tend to get over this with no problem. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.