petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat is nauseous. Yelp, she has renal problems. Yet, she

Customer Question

my cat is nauseous. Yelp, she has renal problems. Yet, she keeps moving each day. Vet gave me 1/4 pepcid to give her each day. Looking for other options to increase appetite too
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: She eats smaller amount now. She like sitting on the warm cable box too. Not sure what's that all about either. Vr
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Hersheys is 12 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hersheys?
Customer: I give her KD food hard food...she like it and wet meals too.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blood works shows Hershey has rental challenges. I want to increase her appetite so that she gets stronger. She like the food but get nauseous each day. Is there more I can do for her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind. What do you mean by "she keeps moving each day?" By kidney problems, do you mean her kidney blood work values are elevated? Has a urine sample been evaluated? Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes blood value elevated.She keeps moving, meaning, she still working and trying to be her normal self.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for my typing challenges. Hersheys continues to keep walking and trying to do things she always does. vR
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Cat's with kidney disease can often live for quite a while while still enjoying a good quality of life. Do you have a copy of her blood work results or do you know how advanced the kidney disease is? What about the urine? was a sample checked? Was this the first time her blood values showed an elevation or have they been elevating for awhile?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay...thank you. Give me viewpoint on what else I can do to help my cat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This isn't working for me right now. Please cancel my account. I will visit the local vet. Thought I could get great care from this service with less cost. I will visit my local vet again.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, but I am not able to proceed with a live phone call. We can reply up and back as long as needed to get all of your questions answered. Let me offer a few comments and if you would still like to proceed with a live phone chat, I can opt out for another expert to pick up. Cats with kidney disease often have a decrease in appetite. In humans with kidney disease, it is known that gastric hyperacidity occurs and so a drug like pepcid makes sense. In cats, we are just not sure if that same event occurs, so we are not sure how much the pepcid really helps but as of yet, there is no evidence that it hurts. Many of these cats do exhibit nausea though and so we do agree that addressing that seems to make them feel better. Anti-nausea drugs like maripotent (cerenia) can be helpful. Also appetite stimulant medications like mirtazapine or cyproheptadine can go a long way to keep these cats eating well daily. Finally, cobalamin (vitamin B12) injections and SQ fluids (we teach the owners how to administer at home) will also help to keep these cats feeling well and eating. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz