Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat has two laceration marks on the inside of one of his

Customer Question

My cat has two laceration marks on the inside of one of his hind legs. I am not sure what happened. What should I do to treat it?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Well, if the lacerations are very shallow (just through the skin and cannot see any underlying tissue), the area can be shaved and cleaned with hydrogen peroxide (only 1 time) and kept clean daily with soap and water. You can apply Neosporin to the area twice a day. If he wants to lick it off, then he will need a cone collar. If the lacerations remain swollen, red, moist or have a discharge; he probably needs to be on some antibiotics from your vet. If the laceration, looks deep, though, he probably will need stitches and antibiotics. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.