Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 17 year old male cat who seems otherwise healthy has started

Customer Question

My 17 year old male cat who seems otherwise healthy has started to urinate over the edge of his cat box. He is in the cat box, but apparently is positioning himself over the edge. The urine runs under the box and puddles, obviously creating a mess and a smell which mandates a complete recharging of the litter and washing of every piece of the litter box- box, bot***** *****ner on which it sits, and occasionally the floor. I've reduced the amount of litter so he is not sitting high in the extra large litter box. What else???
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. I would really consider the fact that this is most likely a medical problem and not a behavioral problem. If he is having problems with posturing, he may have some issues with arthritis, weakness (possibly from diabetes) or even a disk problem in the back. If that is the case, it may help to get a much bigger litter box. Sometimes those long, shallow storage bins work well. A shallow box is also good for cats with arthritis because it is easier for them to get in and out of. Your vet may even need to put him on medication for arthritis. I would also be concerned with a potential urinary tract infection, diabetes, thyroid or kidney problem; especially if he is urinating and/or drinking more often than normal. Sometimes these inappropriate urination issues are their only way to tell us that something is wrong. Besides getting a bigger and shallow litter box, I would definitely have your vet do a full exam on him and check his blood work and urinalysis to rule out any medical issue. You can try even getting a cover litter box, but many cats do not like the odor they trap in and may stop using it altogether, especially if they are not used to it. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.