Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

Eating and drinking like crazy weeks but has only pooped

Customer Question

eating and drinking like crazy for 3 weeks but has only pooped 3 or so times, urintes a small bit dailey. His belly is bloated, but the rest of his body is very thin. He has a stroke a couple months ago, lost his eye sight, doctor just said he was getting old (16)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Dude is his name, he is silver tab Himalayan.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Name?
Customer: No diarrhea, eating sheba pate I mix with water to reduce strength and get him more liquid in his diet. He has had just 3 hard stools in 3 weeks and it appears his stomach is stretching out, but is spine is like sharp little bones. Labored breathing, no throwing up, no coughing no sneezing.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
It sounds as if the polyphagic (increased hunger) and polydipsic (increased thirst) Dude is either hyperthyroid and/or diabetic but also obstipated (severe constipation). His abdominal bloating may be due simply to a large bowel clogged with feces. Dude's vet will want to X-ray Dude's abdomen and at the same time perform diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Therap;y will be dictated upon the findings in his X-rays and other diagnostics. There's rarely just one thing wrong in a cat of his advanced age and so the most important and life-threatening disorder needs to be addressed initially.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.